Categorized | Featured, Random Goodies

11 YA Novels Every Adult Should Read

The genre ‘young adult’ clearly signifies that the books are meant for teenagers, but sometimes it’s nice to take a trip down memory lane and relive our younger days. Here is a collection of 11 books that adults should read, not just for nostalgia purposes, but each book is a fantastic piece of literature that should be read by individuals of all ages.

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

This fast-paced YA debut novel has it all: smart, savvy characters making their way through an eerily dystopian society, with all the requisite action, adventure and romance characteristic of the genre vividly and at times, chillingly, portrayed.

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

About Lindsey

Lindsey Reeder is obsessed with chocolate, coffee and books. It only made sense that she would choose a career in book publishing with a last name like Reeder. As a Coordinator in Online Marketing for Random House of Canada, Lindsey spends her days tweeting and blogging about books that make her laugh, make her cry and everything in between. Follow Lindsey on Twitter at @reederreads or @RandomHouseCA.

12 Responses to “11 YA Novels Every Adult Should Read”

1. Added to my to-read list:

-Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
    -The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    -Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Thanks for the post Lindsey! It’s great!

- Vanessa

• Lindsey says:

You’re going to love all of those books. Fair warning, keep kleenex nearby for when you read Wonder, it’s a tear jerker. -Lindsey

2. Elfi Patjas says:

Every YA should real Calyla kluver’s legacy trilogy. I am 53 and loved it

3. Amanda says:

Good list. I would definitely add the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. Read it in my twenties, and I recommend it to everyone. Amazing work.

• Anne says:

I read His Dark Materials when I was 65. Couldn’t put it down! I loved Philip Pullman….almost ready to read the trilogy again.

4. Chris says:

I’d add Laurie Halse Anderson’s Speak.

Was curious incident YA? It’s shelved as Fiction @ chapters/Indigo.

5. Christie says:

I enjoyed this list. Some of these I’ve read, some are on my tbr list (or shelf). I would definitely add a few others (Nevermore by Kelly Creagh, The Knife of Never Lettyng Go (Chaos Walking trilogy) by Patrick Ness, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and Ashes by Ilsa Bick come to mind) but wondered if you were limiting the list to Random House titles only.

6. Elle Lenore says:

I’m not sure about some of these, but a definite YES on “The Book Thief” by Zuzak. It’s absolutely wonderfully written, and very moving.

7. JenniferD. says:

Lindsey!! I JUST (last night) made note of WONDER as a christmas gift for my niece!! This is a great (and helpful!) list. Thank you. :)

8. Andrea Stark says:

The fact that neither Laurie Halse Anderson’s “Speak” and John Green’s “The Fault in Our Stars” are not on this list is so disappointing! They both write some of the best YA fiction I’ve ever read.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] This is a pretty good list, entitled 11 YA Novels Every Adult Should Read. [...]